Yabbies in Puff Pastry (Ecrevisses en Chausson)
A very popular dish served in restaurants in the Alps region of France.
- 2 small sheets of puff pastry (12cm x 8cm x 3mm thick)
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tsp cold water
- 6cm piece of carrot
- 6cm piece of leek
- 6cm piece of celery
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsp cream
- ½ tblsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tblsp finely chopped parsley
- 12 cooked and shelled yabbies
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the puff pastry rectangles onto the prepared baking sheet. Using the tip of a knife, lightly mark a smaller rectangle inside each pastry sheet, forming a 5mm border. Brush the egg yolk and water wash over the pastry sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and risen to about 2cm.
- Cut the carrot, leek and celery into thin julienne strips. Heat oil and butter in small frying pan and gently cook the vegetables for a few minutes till soft. Add cream, tarragon, parsley and yabbies. Reheat for a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the smaller rectangle out of the cooked puff pastry, and set this “lid” aside. Remove any excess pastry from the centre to create a cavity. Spoon the yabby and vegetable mixture into the pastry shell and replace the “lid”. Serve straight away.
- If you have truffles you can add 6 thin slices of truffle into the mixture when you combine the cream at the end.