Roasted Tomato Clafoutis
The Provence region includes the highly fertile Rhone and Durance Valleys, making this sun blessed area ideal for growing beautiful flavorsome tomatoes. This colorful dish is enhanced by the fragrance of fresh thyme, basil and parsley; surrounded by a light batter of eggs, cheese and coconut milk.
Coconut milk lends this easy clafoutis an unusual but light richness. This recipe is Gluten Free.
- 1 kg tomatoes (either large or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper and good salt – I use Murray River Pink salt flakes
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tblsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tblsp chopped parsley
- If using large tomatoes, core and cut them into quarters.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees.
- On a baking tray covered with baking paper, toss the tomatoes with garlic, oil and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until caramelized, about 30 minutes, then transfer into a greased, 26 cm round pie dish.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 150 degrees. In a bowl whisk together eggs, cornflour, coconut milk, cheese, salt and herbs, then pour over the tomatoes.
- Bake until top is golden brown and edges are puffed, about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with a green salad.