Zucchini Gratin with French Herbs
The zucchini plant grows very well in all parts of France, so you will find numerous recipes using the humble zucchini. Although a fairly tasteless vegetable, it does absorb flavours of herbs and spices incredibly well.
For those of you who grow zucchini, you end up having more of them than you know what to do with, so don’t be afraid to experiment when you find a recipe.
Here we have a tasty Zucchini dish which is a compliment as a side dish with any meal.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 white onions
- 2 tblsp oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 sprigs of thyme (dry is fine to use)
- 2 tblsp chopped chives
- 3 beaten eggs
- 300 gr mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 200 gr Quark. I used sour cream. Quark is a creamy cheese which is full of flavour but not readily available in all shops.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or powder
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence (Combine equal parts of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, savory and marjoram)
- Salt and pepper