Provencal Olive, Cheese and Tomato Loaf
In France, the pain aux olives is a very popular savoury loaf which, cut into cubes or thin fingers, is served with drinks.
It’s a savoury loaf, packed with flavours of cheese, bacon, olives and sundried tomatoes. This is also a convenient snack to have as a light lunch with a tossed green salad.
To make a vegetarian version, just leave out the bacon and ham.
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion, finely choppped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic (or 1 tsp powdered garlic)
- 150 gr cheddar cheese
- 110 ml olive oil
- 150 ml white wine
- 350 gr plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Half tsp herbs de Provence
- 60 gr sundried tomatoes
- 100 gr chopped bacon
- 200 gr lean ham (off the bone) sliced and cut into small pieces
- 2 tblsp chopped parsley
- 100 gr sliced green olives
- 100 gr sliced black olives