Provence: Walnut and Caramel Slice
- 140 gr melted butter
- 100 gr desiccated coconut
- 210 gr self raising flour
- 90 gr brown sugar
- 395 gr condensed milk
- 170 gr roughly chopped walnuts
- 70 gr golden syrup
- An extra 30 gr butter for topping
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray (30cm x 20cm) with baking paper.
- Mix together flour, butter, sugar and coconut. Then press this mixture into the base of the baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a small saucepan, combine golden syrup, condensed milk and 30 gr butter, stirring over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, being sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t catch and burn.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the cooked base and bake for a further 10 -12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately press the chopped walnuts and a sprinkling of extra coconut into the soft topping and allow to cool before cutting.
- For an added effect you could drizzle melted chocolate over the top when cool.
- Because this slice is rather sweet, you don’t need the slices to be too large. Remember, you can always go back for more.