Provence: French Almond and Custard Cake
This is a French custard-filled cake which can be served as a dessert or with a coffee.
- 500 mls milk
- 140 gr sugar
- 100 gr plain flour
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tblsp almond extract
- 100 gr softened butter
- 100 gr almond meal
- 500 gr plain flour
- 190 gr sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg, mixed with pinch of salt and 1 tsp cold water
- Combine 370 mls milk with sugar in saucepan and cook over medium heat till bubbles just begin to form on the edges, stirring often as this will take about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, place 1 egg, 2 egg yolks and remaining milk, whisk to combine, then stir in the plain flour and stir vigorously till smooth.
- Slowly add half of a cup full of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture and whisk well.
- Stirring constantly, pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture and cook for about 5 minutes on a low heat, being careful not to allow this mixture to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the almond essence. Set aside to cool a little, then place a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the custard mixture and place in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
- Sift together the almond meal, flour, salt and baking powder, then set aside.Combine butter and sugar in a bowl and beat till creamy. Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture until well combined. Put one third of the dough into a plastic bag, the larger piece of dough into another bag, flatten them a bit, and place them into the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a 22 cm spring form cake tin and set aside.
- Roll the larger piece of dough on a well- floured surface so that it fits into the spring form tin. Place the dough carefully into the cake tin and up the sides.
- Spread the cooled custard onto the dough. Roll the smaller dough disc to fit the top of the cake tin, covering the layer of custard, then press the two doughs together.
- Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with a tblsp of sugar, cover lightly with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the top is a golden colour. Cool for 5-10 minutes and carefully remove the form from the cake.