Chicken in Riesling
- 3/4 cup oil
- 16 small onions, (ordinary onion or shallots can be used)
- 4 carrots cut into slender 3 inch lengths
- 4 celery stalks cut into 3 inch lengths
- 5 cloves garlic
- 6 chicken thighs
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- 1 heaped tblsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tblsp grated lemon peel
- 16 pitted prunes
- ½ small cabbage cut into wedges, leaving some core on each
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Riesling
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Put 2 tblsps oil into heavy based saucepan onto medium heat. Add carrots onions, celery and crushed garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are slightly browned. Remove vegetables into another dish while you heat another 2 tblsps oil in same saucepan where the vegetables were cooked and place chicken into the warm oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring with wooden spoon to stop sticking.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs, grated lemon and prunes over the chicken. Tuck cabbage wedges around chicken, add the vegetables on top. Pour wine and chicken stock over the top, drizzle the remaining oil over it as well. Cook for about 50 minutes.