- 1.5kg lamb diced into 4 cm pieces (you can use blade steak and pork loin) I used only lamb.
- 3 large leeks cut into 4 cm rounds (use only the white parts)
- 2 large Spanish onions (Iused red onions) cut into 8 wedges
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Bunch of bouquetgarni (celery with leaves, 2 bay leaves, parsley and thyme)…5 or 6 sprigs of each tied together.
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 75g Butter
- Combine meat, leek, onion, garlic and bouquetgarniin large bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper, add wine, cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 160 deg. Remove meat, vegetables and bouquetgarni from marinade…placing meat and vegetables each in separate bowls, reserving the marinade and bouquetgarni. Heat 60g butter in large frying pan, add meat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Grease a 4ltr capacity oven proof dish with remaining butter. Layer one quater of the potatoes on the base and season with salt and pepper. Add one third of the meat mixture, then a third of the vegetables and chopped bouquetgarni…season again with salt and pepper. Repeat twice with remaining potatoes, meat and vegetables, seasoning between layers and finishing with a layer of potatoes on top.
- Pour over reserved marinade, seal with foil or lid and bake for two and a halfhours.
Serve immediately. I had green peas and broccoli with mine. This is a very tasty and filling dish but I feel that a few colourful vegetables on the plate make it a more attractive presentation…maybe carrots or squash as well.