- 2⁄3 Cup Butter
- 1 1⁄4 Cup Sifted plain flour
- 1⁄2 Cup Toasted blanched almonds (Grated or Finely Chopped)
- 3⁄4 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg white
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Almond extract
- 1 Egg yolk beaten
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Cut butter into flour until particles are the size of rice kernels.
- Blend in almonds, icing sugar, and salt.
- Beat the egg white and extract until frothy; add to flour sugar mixture, mixing until a soft dough is formed.
- Shape dough into a ball; knead lightly with fingertips until mixture holds together.
- Chill dough thoroughly.
- Roll a third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick between sheets of waxed paper.
- Cut with a 2-inch round cutter.
- Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets; brush tops with egg yolk and sprinkle each with 1/4 tea spoon sugar.
- Bake at 300F for 18 to 20 minutes.
Tested by Ada Barnett: Farmer at Art in the Jeanne d'Moore test kitchen (Moora, WA)